Tuesday, November 10, 2015

on a To Do in Chicago: National Mexican Museum of Art

I mentioned yesterday that I went to the National Mexican Museum of Art on Sunday afternoon so I wanted to share some fun facts about it:


- It is in the pretty cool Pilsen neighorhood
- Features many Mexican and Mexican American artists
- Admission is Free!
- Easily accessible via the Pink Line
- They have 4 different exhibits at any time, right now there is a Dia De Los Muertos exhibit I really wanted to see

I haven't been to this museum in a long time but I really wanted to check out the Day of the Dead exhibit this year. So I convinced my mother & brother to come down from the burbs and join me for the afternoon. I was really glad I made the time to check it out again!

We made the rounds and I thought I would share some of the photos I took from the different exhibits: 
This is based on a love story of a warrior and a princess, this painting depicts him taking the princess to the mountains believing the cold would bring her back to life. While waiting for her to come back he slowly froze to death. 
This made entirely of small beads! 



I don't like tacos but I would definitely go for it! 


I took quite a while with this one....I appreciate art with a political statement  


And some of the photos from the Day of the Dead exhibit:
This is one of thew newer paintings they displayed and I absolutely loved it! 
Dia de los innocentes- the day to remember lost children  

An alter, used to attract the soul of the lost family member on the day we celebrate their life 
I really liked this one as it is a more modern representation of the blending of Dia de Los Muertos and Halloween 






2 comments

Marie said...

What a great exhibit to see. I would love to see that! So cool.

Kristen @ See You In A Porridge said...

wow, what an interesting exhibit. thanks for sharing!

With Curls & Cocktails ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © Revel and Design - Powered by Blogger