Tuesday, February 2, 2016

On Study Tips I Try to Use..

So if you come by here occasionally you may know that I am in school and this semester is one of those rough ones. I am taking two science classes, a Statistics class and a Pysch class. The two science classes are in person Monday-Thursday from 5-8 & 6-9:45 pm. Yep. 9:45 PM! Imagine how much I get done after working all day and then trying to workout and heading to class. NOTHING. absolutely not a damn thing. So here are some ways I try to get some studying in and things that help me not lose my mind.


1. Study anywhere. I mean anywhere. On the train, in the tub, at the gym(while walking or biking) during my lunch break at work, on the bus, right before class, during break in class. Basically if i have 10 minutes I will be using it to study. Why? Because M-TH I have no interest in going home to spend 2-3 hours studying. I want to go to bed. So I try to fit in as much as I can where I can.

2. Pomodoro Technique- minus the little tomato timer. I read about this on someone's blog awhile back and started using it for work & school and OMG has it helped. I can not recommend this enough. I was so used to allowing ridiculous amounts of distractions keep me from doing anything from start to finish and now I just set a timer and get shit done. It is especially helpful on Saturday/Sunday when I have study time. There is nothing worse than spending 4+ hours studying but not actually learning anything. I need to be efficient with my time!


3. Exercise. I've been failing at this one big time but it is actually important. It gives you energy no matter what time of day. For me it also clears my mind when I need it. If I am doing zumba or running or lifting I am not thinking about the million things I need to do, what we will do for lab tonight, or anything. Just focusing on getting it done and giving my mind a much needed break. Also...ya know makes you sexy. so there is that. 

4. Sleep.  Sleep is key folks. Listen I don't care what anyone tells me when I am not sleeping I can not function. I can't learn, I can't get my work done, I don't have the energy to workout and I end up forcing myself back on the caffeine wagon to get by. I can not pull all nighters or go from 6:30 am-9:45 pm and then stay up and do homework for 3 hours. No thanks. A good nights rest will ALWAYS make you better prepared to study. ALWAYS. #youcanthankmelaterwithstarbucks



5. Proper planning I will be the first to admit I am failing hard at this one but hopefully can get back on track. Procrastination is a killer. It happens to everyone especially in school. I say I will work on that paper a little bit at a time because thats smart and it always ends up better but what happens? I wait until 3 hours before class and have to do research and a paper all in that time. Plan your shit out. If you have a syllabus you know when shit is due. Give yourself small goals to get to before things are due. If a test is coming, plan to take a look at your notes a couple times along the way..not look at notes from 5 weeks ago 12 hours before your test. This seems like common sense but really...I fail at it so I know other people do too. 



So folks what have we learned today? 

Study anywhere you can 
Find a technique that works for you
Exercise that shit out 
Get some effing sleep
Use that fancy planner! 

Do you have any study tips?? 






3 comments

Kristen @ See You In A Porridge said...

it's been a long time since i needed to study but i wish i had known about the Pomodoro Technique... it definitely would have helped! and studying anywhere is brilliant! you go girl.

Amy @ Getz Girl on Fire said...

You go girl . . . highest of 5's to you for taking on those classes plus life! Impressive!

Amanda - Voyage of the MeeMee said...

I'm with you in regards to sleep PERIOD. I can't do jack shit without it.

With Curls & Cocktails ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © Revel and Design - Powered by Blogger